Nonprofit Web Development Starting Point
The best place to initiate your nonprofit website’s development is to establish the website’s primary and secondary target audiences. (Important: unlike a commercial website where there is generally no division in the viewership, a nonprofit web developer has to consider if the viewer is seeking a service or information, or is the viewer seeking to fund a service which they may never access themselves. These are two distinct audiences, with different priorities.) That being said, are they charitable donors, members, volunteers, professional peers, event-goers, the general public — or are they clients — or another group set altogether?
Next, we help determine what the primary purpose of the organization’s website will be. Is it to raise funds or awareness, inform, steer people to events, or for another purpose? (We have a detailed design questionnaire to facilitate these options.)
Once your core audience and purpose are identified, we begin building your new website. Key components include:
- Creating an intuitive website organizational structure with your organization in mind.
- Customizing your website design to fit your needs.
- Branding your logo (optional, of course).
- Building the website (in WordPress) with intuitive drag-and-drop tools.
- Make your nonprofit website fully “responsive” (so that they look really good on smartphones, tablets, and desktop screen sizes).
- Testing your website to confirm that it is cross-browser friendly with the popular versions.
- Helping you select an appropriate web host service provider.
- Be a trusted adviser to the overall development of your nonprofit website.
Initial Planning of your Non profit Website
Preparing and developing the content for your non profit website requires proper planning, not just for what should be included now, but for what may be added later. The decisions you make now will lay the foundation for a long-term, consistently effective website presence.
Your Non profit Web Format
The format for an non profit website is not unlike a dynamic brochure, with the content sometimes gleaned from existing publications. Once this initial phase is completed, you’ll be able to build upon it quickly. Do you want to stream your Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and Twitter accounts? Have featured articles and events? There are many website options to consider. Our passion is to build the best website for your special audience, thus creating the comprehensive outreach and development tool you envision.