Are you ready for #GivingTuesday 2018?
Giving Tuesday 2018 (#GivingTuesday) is on November 27, 2018. So why give it any thought now when June is just around the corner?
If your organization has participated in Giving Tuesday in the past, then indeed this call to action may be a bit early. But, if you haven’t participated in the past, now may be the best time to chart your path and get a jump on the competition.
First Step: Join
The good people at Giving Tuesday have made it easy for organizations to get registered and started. Simply go to https://www.givingtuesday.org/organizations and sign-up via their online form. (Note: you must be a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization to qualify for the Giving Tuesday program.)
Second Step: Set Goals and Timeline
- How much do you hope to raise?
- How will those funds be used?
- What might be the giver-experience? (E.g.: “You’ll feel proud to have helped dozen’s of hungry people have groceries in winter.”)
- The Giving Tuesday Tool Kit provides a handy timeline for you to adapt for your needs.
Third Step: Begin your Outreach
Just download GivingTuesday’s Tool Kit for ideas, messaging and media tips. Suggestions include:
- Setting creative call-to-actions for your supporters and community.
- That you promote early so that everyone who wishes to participate has adequate time to do so: on your website, your social network channels, place of worship, and even flyers for local business to pin up.
- Collaborate/network with other groups in your community.
- Send out press releases (a sample is provided).
- Email blast your supporters (a sample email is provided).
- Request a “Mayoral Proclamation” for GT.
Giving Tuesday 2018 also offers the following resources:
- 50 Day Campaign Timeline
- Social Media Kit
- Planned Giving Toolkit
- Press Release Kit
- Mayoral Proclamation Toolkit
About Giving Tuesday
Giving Tuesday is celebrated on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving Day (which is a U.S. holiday) as a sort of balance (or, perhaps, balm) to the manic (if not materialistic) “Black Friday” and “Cyber Monday” which precedes Giving Tuesday.
Right after Thanksgiving, and well before Christmas, is considered the best time of year for fundraising. It’s a small window actually, but with the power of Giving Tuesday, your donation opportunity will certainly rise. It’s just a great way of celebrating the true spirit of the Holidays: philanthropy through community.
2017 Numbers to Note:
- 150+ countries
- More than $300 million raised online
- More than 2.5 million online gifts
- $120.40 mean online gift
Learn more about Giving Tuesday by visiting: www.givingtuesday.org